Español   |  Tiếng Việt   |  한국어   |  中文   |  հայերեն

The official language used for the content of the Los Angeles Superior Court public website is English. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Computerized translations are only an approximation of the website's original content. The translation should not be considered exact and in some cases may include incorrect or offensive language.

The Los Angeles Superior Court does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by Google™ Translate or any other translation system. In addition, some applications, files or items cannot be translated including graphs, photos or some portable document formats (pdfs).

Please be aware that when a translation is requested, you will be leaving the Los Angeles Superior Court website. The Los Angeles Superior Court does not endorse the use of Google™ Translate. Other translation services may be used to view our site. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from any translation system does so at their own risk. When a translation is complete, you assume the risk of any inaccuracies, errors or other problems encountered. The Los Angeles Superior Court is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using Google™ Translate or any other translation system.

If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please click the following link: Google™ Translate FAQs.

What is a trial by written declaration?
You can request a trial by written declaration if you are unable to appear in court. You will write a statement explaining:
  • The facts of the case
  • Why the court should rule in your favor

The law enforcement officer who wrote your ticket will also write a statement giving his or her version of the facts of the case. A trial by written declaration allows you to contest your ticket without coming to court.

Your case is not heard in open court. The statements and any evidence are reviewed by a judicial officer.

What happens if I am found not guilty?

If the judicial officer finds you not guilty your bail deposit will be returned to you by mail.

What happens if I am found guilty?

If the judicial officer finds you guilty, your sentence will usually be a fine not exceeding the amount of bail you have deposited and a conviction is placed on your driving record. In some cases, the judicial officer will find a defendant guilty but suspend or reduce the fine. This means that a portion your bail money will be returned, but your driving record will still show a conviction.

More Traffic Q&A Topics
Ticket Basics
How to Handle Your Ticket
Traffic Payment Plan
Before Your Court Date
Arraignment Hearing
Trial Types
Trial by Written Declaration
Your Day in Court
Traffic School
Driver’s License Suspension
Community Service Information Section
Art Showcased in
Los Angeles Courthouse Jury Rooms
"Attorney Without a Head" by Camilo Cruz
2006 – 1st Place Professional

National Arts Program - Logo

Copyright 2014 Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles