Español   |  Tiếng Việt   |  한국어   |  中文   |  հայերեն

The official language used for the content of the Los Angeles Superior Court public website is English. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Computerized translations are only an approximation of the website's original content. The translation should not be considered exact and in some cases may include incorrect or offensive language.

The Los Angeles Superior Court does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by Google™ Translate or any other translation system. In addition, some applications, files or items cannot be translated including graphs, photos or some portable document formats (pdfs).

Please be aware that when a translation is requested, you will be leaving the Los Angeles Superior Court website. The Los Angeles Superior Court does not endorse the use of Google™ Translate. Other translation services may be used to view our site. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from any translation system does so at their own risk. When a translation is complete, you assume the risk of any inaccuracies, errors or other problems encountered. The Los Angeles Superior Court is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using Google™ Translate or any other translation system.

If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please click the following link: Google™ Translate FAQs.

What happens if the Court Imposed Driving Disability?

The Court may impose a disability on the conservatee to operate a motor vehicle. You should check your Power/Disability Sheet. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is notified of this disability by the Public Guardian once the Court has imposed this disability.

It is your responsibility as conservator to notify DMV if:

  • You do not renew the conservatorship
  • You proceed to have the Court terminate the conservatorship prior to the termination date
  • You request the Court and the Court grants the conservatee’s privilege to operate a motor vehicle while still on conservatorship

If the conservatee and you wish to have their ability to operate a motor vehicle while still on conservatorship, you as the conservator must cause the following to happen:

  • Contact the conservatee’s treating psychiatrist and ask that he or she write a letter addressed to the Court stating that the conservatee’s mental condition and medications do not prohibit the conservatee from operating a motor vehicle
  • You as the conservator address a letter to the Court that you are in agreement with the psychiatrist and you wish the conservatee’s privilege of being able to operate a motor vehicle while still on conservatorship be granted by the Court

The letters must include the conservatee’s name and the case number. Mail both letters to:

Superior Court of California, Los Angeles County
Mental Health
1150 N. San Fernando Road, Suite 101
Los Angeles, CA. 90065

Remember to include a legal-size self-addressed, stamped envelope so we can send you a minute order restoring the privilege. Please make a copy of the minute order for your records. Write a letter to DMV stating that you are the conservator and that the conservatee’s privilege to operate a motor vehicle has been restored by the Court, see attached minute order. Send your letter with attached minute order to:

California State Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Safety Review Unit
P.O. Box 942890
Sacramento, CA. 94290-0001

More Mental Health Q&A Topics
Mental Health Basics
Questions about Organization of Mental Health Court
Questions about Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act
What are the different hearings held under the Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act
Initial Conservatorship
Private Conservatorship
Art Showcased in
Los Angeles Courthouse Jury Rooms
"Dallas2" by Patrick Treanor
2009 – 3rd Place Intermediate

National Arts Program - Logo

Copyright 2014 Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles