Español   |  Tiếng Việt   |  한국어   |  中文   |  հայերեն

The official language used for the content of the Los Angeles Superior Court public website is English. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Computerized translations are only an approximation of the website's original content. The translation should not be considered exact and in some cases may include incorrect or offensive language.

The Los Angeles Superior Court does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by Google™ Translate or any other translation system. In addition, some applications, files or items cannot be translated including graphs, photos or some portable document formats (pdfs).

Please be aware that when a translation is requested, you will be leaving the Los Angeles Superior Court website. The Los Angeles Superior Court does not endorse the use of Google™ Translate. Other translation services may be used to view our site. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from any translation system does so at their own risk. When a translation is complete, you assume the risk of any inaccuracies, errors or other problems encountered. The Los Angeles Superior Court is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using Google™ Translate or any other translation system.

If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please click the following link: Google™ Translate FAQs.

What does it mean when a petition is filed?
A petition is filed by the Probation Department or the District Attorney’s office. It will state what offense your child is alleged to have committed. It is a judge's job to decide during your child’s hearing if what is stated on the petition is true. There are two kinds of petition:

Petition Type Filed By Possible Reasons Petition is Filed If Judge Decides Petition is True
601(a) Probation Department

Your child has:

  • Broke curfew
  • Disobeyed his or her parents
  • Run away
  • Skipped school
Your child is a status offender and can become a ward of the court.
601(b) District Attorney’s Office
602 District Attorney's Office Your child has done something that would be a serious crime if he or she were over 18.
This can be a misdemeanor like:
  • Assault
  • Drunk driving
Or a felony like:
  • Car theft
  • Drug sales
  • Murder
  • Rape
Your child is a delinquent and becomes a ward of the court. Your child’s punishment will depend on what your child did.

You have the right to a copy of the petition. The delinquent acts your child is accused of will be stated on the petition and any other papers you receive. This does not mean your child is guilty. That will have to be proved during your child’s hearing.

  • Important
  • Please read the petition carefully.
Juvenile Delinquency Petition
Copyright 2014 Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles