Español   |  Tiếng Việt   |  한국어   |  中文   |  հայերեն

The official language used for the content of the Los Angeles Superior Court public website is English. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Computerized translations are only an approximation of the website's original content. The translation should not be considered exact and in some cases may include incorrect or offensive language.

The Los Angeles Superior Court does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by Google™ Translate or any other translation system. In addition, some applications, files or items cannot be translated including graphs, photos or some portable document formats (pdfs).

Please be aware that when a translation is requested, you will be leaving the Los Angeles Superior Court website. The Los Angeles Superior Court does not endorse the use of Google™ Translate. Other translation services may be used to view our site. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from any translation system does so at their own risk. When a translation is complete, you assume the risk of any inaccuracies, errors or other problems encountered. The Los Angeles Superior Court is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using Google™ Translate or any other translation system.

If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please click the following link: Google™ Translate FAQs.

What is Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce)?
Dissolution of marriage (divorce) ends a marriage or domestic partnership. It restores the parties to single status. During this process, the Court can issue orders about:
  • Child Custody
  • Child Visitation
  • Child Support
  • Spousal and Domestic Partner Support
  • Community and Separate Property
  • Community and Separate Debt
  • Summary Dissolution of Marriage
If you are the person filing for divorce, you are the petitioner . The other party in the divorce is the respondent . The respondent must be served with specific paperwork. If the respondent does not file the necessary responding paperwork within 30 days of service, the petitioner may request an entry of default. The divorce proceeding can then be completed without the participation of the respondent.
If the respondent files the necessary responding paperwork, the case proceeds as a contested or uncontested divorce.

In a contested divorce the:
  • Parties are unable to agree on some or all issues
  • Unresolved issues must be settled by the Court
  • Judgment is prepared based on what the judge ordered and submitted to the Court for signature
In an uncontested divorce the:
  • Parties are able to agree on all issues
  • Parties prepare and sign Judgment then submit to the Court for signature
Copyright 2014 Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles